Monday, 4 July 2011
The day is also set to highlight the skills great independent retailers have and to show the public that their local shopkeeper is not only a vital service, but someone who wears many hats; the accountant, sales assistant, buyer, and everything in-between... but that's something you may already know if you've ever innocently wandered in to the shop looking for a book and found me sweeping the floor, printing out posters, rearranging bookshelves, writing enewsletters, ordering stock, fixing broken fittings or hunched over a computer attempting to do my taxes!
Being independent is important to us here we're already members of the Bookseller's Association's IndieBound scheme, and we stock books by many independent publishers too. We hope that Independents' Day will help raise awareness of the importance of independent retailers from all sectors on the high street.
1. You're keeping money in the local economy (Based on US research, we know that for every £100 spent in a local business, £68 is likely to stay in the community, versus £43 when spent in a national business.)
2.You're embracing what makes us unique (You wouldn’t want your house to look like everyone else’s in Britain. So why would you want your community to look that way?)
3. You're creating local jobs (Local businesses are better at creating higher-paying jobs for local people.)
4. You're helping the environment (Buying from a local business conserves energy and resources in the form of less fuel for transportation, less packaging, and products that you know are safe and well made, because we stand behind them.)
5. You're nurturing your community (We know you, and you know us. Studies have shown that local businesses donate to community causes at more than twice the rate of chains.)
6. You're helping keep the high street healthy (Supporting local business means more colour and variety on the high street and creates more reason for local authorities to support them.)
7. You're creating more choice (We pick the items we sell based on what we know you like and want. Local businesses carry a wider array of unique products because we buy for our own individual market.)
8.You're taking advantage of our expertise (You are our friends and neighbours, and we have a vested interest in knowing how to serve you. We’re passionate about what we do. Why not take advantage of it?)
9. You're investing in entrepreneurship (Creativity and entrepreneurship are crucial to our economy. Nurturing local business ensures a strong community.)
10.You're making us a destination (The more interesting and unique we are as a community, the more we will attract new neighbours, visitors and guests. This benefits everyone!
...so, once again a great big THANK YOU to all our customers who keep us, the other local stores, and the community alive!